"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Finding Inspiration in a Creative Community

By the time Scott Green introduced our first poet to the mic last Friday night (Oct. 11), I estimated about 80 people or more crowded into the sparkly Tahoe Wine Collective wine bar in Tahoe City. Scott was our MC for Poetry and Prose, the open mic event opening the Tahoe Literary Festival. This new festival is the brilliant brainchild of Katherine Hill of Tahoe Guide and Priya Hutner of The Seasoned Sage. 

The wine bar crowd tingled with the good will of friends gathering to celebrate creativity and to revel in the humanness that is our connection. I greeted old writing friends joining from Marin, Carson City, Reno and Tahoe, as well as met new writer friends from all over. The mingling creative energies filled my reservoir to motivate new work, and to keep on writing. 

I find inspiration from engaging with other artists and watching them share their inspirations. In fact, this is why I created the Monday Night Creative Writing Workshop series back in 2008. 

I invite writers to gather for 6 Monday nights to explore writing craft and write new work with unique prompts. The next series begins October 28th and runs for 6 weeks through December 2. This workshop series is for all genres, (fiction, memoir, poetry, and anything else) and all levels of experience in writing. it can be especially productive for artists who want to cross over from other mediums.

Monday Night Creative Writing Workshop Series Hybrid (online and in person)

October 28- December 2

Monday nights 6:30 - 8 pm

$180

Reach out to me by email or phone to sign up. We meet in person as well as online so you can join from anywhere.

No comments: