"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Thursday, January 6, 2022

2022, instant tests, big storms, and how to understand our intimate relationship with writing


All week I've been carrying around the three folded up pages I printed out New Year's Eve from the New York Times. The article, Making These Resolutions Can Improve a Relationship, seems to outline exactly the kinds of questions I want to write from as I assess this past year. 

But conversations with friends about how many instant Covid tests they have at home or when the next shipment arrives at CVS or who thinks they have an exposure have dominated my attention. And then we were blessed with those beautiful fierce storms so I could shovel instead of write. I love that feeling of satisfied exhaustion after a day spent playing in the snow, shoveling, meeting new neighbors, and helping them get their cars unstuck. Nothing better than curling up in a storm on the sofa with Netflix.

Here's some of those questions about this past year from the article:

  • What were the highlights or big moments of joy you experienced? 
  • What were the lowest points and what was that like for you? 
  • How can we make meaning from what we've gone through?  
  • How do you want to reconnect with family and friends you might not have seen because of the pandemic?
  • What are your financial objectives and purchases?

Although the article specifically focuses on romantic relationships, whose to say our relationship to writing as writers is not an intimacy or a romance? 

So join me if you want in journaling on these questions above and consider that your writing practice or your writing is your partner. The final part of the article suggests creating rituals that create positive emotions you can associate with your partner. Most of my writing rituals have been tossed out the window with the pandemic, so one of my resolutions is to find just one or two rituals I can create. A ritual can be simply a repeated activity. 

Here are some of my writing rituals:



No comments: