"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Friday, November 16, 2012

30 Poems in 30 Days: Day Sixteen Prompt

Found Poetry
Found poems take existing texts and refashion them, reorder them, and present them as poems. The literary equivalent of a collage, found poetry is often made from newspaper articles, street signs, graffiti, speeches, letters, or even other poems.
A pure found poem consists exclusively of outside texts: the words of the poem remain as they were found, with few additions or omissions. Decisions of form, such as where to break a line, are left to the poet.
Found Poetry Review is an online journal that publishes found poetry composed from bathroom graffiti, news, tv shows, any text or video or sound.
Choose your source and collect the text you will use.  This month I chose the NY Times article on the space shuttle (I linked that article in my post Nov. 3rd post) to pull phrases and sentences from.  I reordered these words into a poem about the return of a loved one. I decided not to add any of my own words to the poem. Now make a quilt with the words, a collage. Have fun!

No comments: