"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Friday, July 3, 2009

June 29 - Polace, Mljet


I woke up to the sounds of boats leaving for their morning fishing sessions. After less than 24 hours here in the tiny fishing and tourist village of Polace, I needed to hide at a different cafe down the street from the friendly people I've met so far in order to find some uninterrupted writing time. I drank a coffee on the patio and ate a cheese omelet as I wrote in my journal looking out over the harbor. This afternoon I rented a bike and rode into the park again along the edge of the lake. Within the sweet smelling shade of pine trees I dropped my bag and jumped into the warm ocean water. About 100 feet up the shoreline, two older European women sunbathed. They skinnydipped, laughing and chatting. I sat by the lake for a couple hours as the dark thunder clouds rolled across the still water.

Finally, I left the peaceful place and rode the bike up and down a small mountain to a nearby port and then back to Polace. Little did I know the restaurant, Konoba Ankora, would complete its adoption of me and my friends tonight. I met up with Yolanda and Gorge for a beer there just as three Croatian families, each in their own sailboat, docked across the street. They ate dinner at Ankora and as the night progressed, the waiter donned a sombrero, another Croatian man appeared with a guitar, Paulo the owner sat down to sing, two women stood up to dance, and blueberry brandy poured.

No comments: