"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Sunday, November 18, 2012

30 Poems in 30 Days: Day Eighteen Prompt

Prayer for family
What in your family are you grateful for? It doesn't matter how off course your family may be careening right now. What are you thankful for? Today's prompt is an early practice in gratitude to get ready for Thanksgiving this week.  I think I'm also writing a prayer for my family because I won't be with them this Thanksgiving and I'm already missing them. Yesterday Anne Lamott wrote The Prayer of an Unconventional Family in The Draft , a New York Times blog; I recommend reading the blog regularly and her piece right now.  You can use her post as a model or jumpstart for your own prayer.  Or, call up a family member and talk with them sincerely and really listen to them. Then start writing.  It may be helpful to find a phrase or word to repeat in your writing to keep you going.


No comments: