"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Politics of the Trampoline

by Karen Terrey

The ground shimmers -
children laughing, falling,
clumsy feet stomping
up and down.

After dinner, ten year old boys
curse on the trampoline deck,
practicing.

In the morning three year olds
Carla, Naomi, and Maria
play house under the trampoline
with tiny dolls.
They call out to me, Hi!
They say, Look what I have!

And inside balled dirty hands
one reveals a ripped picture of a gorilla
from a magazine,
It’s a monkey!
or a broken piece of white reflector,
Its ice!
The smallest girl holds a crumpled piece of paper without even a picture,
It’s a dog! she yells.

The ground shimmers all around - shards of broken glass in the hot sun.




Originally published in Moonshine Ink

No comments: