Call for submissions from Truckee Community Theater:
August 20th deadline
No more than 10 pages, double spaced, Times New Roman, 2-3 characters max., ten minutes long, minimal set, and creative use of props.
Email Word attachment to: email@example.com
Write “Play submission/your name” in subject line.
Winners will be selected for production at the Ten Minute Play Festival October 28th. Editing and rehearsals will take place in September and October.
For many samples of plays to read and use as models for your own ideas, peruse Heuer Publishing.
10 Minute Playfest Guidelines by Nancy McClernan
- Does the play pull me in right away? What is the question you want to know the answer to right away?
- Does the play surprise me? Ie. Pacing, emotional impact, bringing in an unexpected element?
- Does the play make me laugh or well up or both? The key is strong emotional impact.
- Does the play have a dramatic struggle? (man against himself, against man, against nature or society)
- Does the play have vivid characters in compelling situations?
- Does the play show more than tell?
- Does the play blow my mind through sheer funky originality?
Almost Watersheds by Micharne Cloughley
Loverboy by Michael Jalbert
Singers by Thom Wiedlich
The Writer’s Journey by Christopher Vogler
Save the Cat by Blake Snyder
Scene and Structure by
Beginnings, Middles, and Ends by Nancy Kress
Plays in One Act edited by Daniel Halpern