"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing." - John Cage


Monday, March 7, 2016

March 24th Nevada County Arts Salon Series: The Business of Writing

So you want to be a writer? I will present a talk and answer questions on how to develop a career as a writer on March 24th at 7 pm for the Nevada County Arts Salon Series in the Howser Room at the Superintendent of Nevada County Schools building. I'll share tips, tools and resources for developing a writing career and making a living as a writer of poetry, fiction, magazine writing and memoir. 

As Wallace Stevens said, “It is necessary to any originality to have the courage to be an amateur.” The path of making a living as a writer is, like the writing process itself, an organic re-visioning of the self.  It is paved with concrete steps that writers can take to build a public platform. In this discussion I will offer specific tools to develop a writing process in a busy life that meets goals and deadlines, to edit and publish your work, to improve your craft, to build an author platform, to seek opportunities for increasing exposure of your work and new possibilities for your writing.
Experimental musical composer John Cage said 'I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I'm doing.' It is with this fresh perspective that I have approached my own writing career.  I earned an MFA in creative writing at Goddard College in 2007 and launched my business Tangled Roots Writing in 2008, offering workshops and one on one coaching to help writers develop and publish their work. 
I have taught writing and literature at Sierra Nevada College, Lake Tahoe Community College and Sierra College in Truckee.  My poems have been published in many journals such as Puerto Del Sol, Rhino, West Trestle Review and Meadow.  My book of poetry titled Bite and Blood was published by Finishing Line Press in 2015.  As an advocate for building literary community, I am co-organizer for the monthly Literary Arts & Wine Reading Series in Truckee, CA.
Nevada County Arts represents and advocates for the arts in Nevada County and facilitates a range of collaborative activities that educate and inspire the community about the value of the arts. The audience is encouraged to bring questions about specific writing projects and goals.

Sign up here: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ebuu3q4mafb20ee6&llr=z6oetldab
Event info:
March 24, 2016
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Price: $20.00 General Public
Nevada County Arts Members $15.00
Students under 21 with ID $5.00
Howser Room, Nevada County Superintendent of Schools
112 Nevada City Hwy
Nevada City, CA 95959
Find more information on the talk at

2 comments:

ishhu said...

In this dialog offer particular apparatuses to build up a composition procedure in a bustling life that meets objectives and due dates, to alter and distribute your work, to enhance your specialty, to construct a writer stage, to look for open doors for expanding introduction of your work and new conceivable outcomes for your written work. It is with this new viewpoint that My name is Killtan I'm a professional resume writers I have drawn closer my own composition vocation. The way of bringing home the bacon as an essayist seems to be, similar to the written work process itself, a natural re-visioning of the self.

Shirley Kemp said...

hislibris
jetphotos
yummly
giantbomb
cults3d